Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Cost of Technology

I stumbled upon this graphic recently and it confirmed what I suspected to be true. We are not only living in an age of exponential growth in the POWER of computing, but also an era where the cost of technology is significantly less. I recall the day (1978) when my dad bought me an Atari 2600. It was one of the most exciting days of my life. Is that sad? It is strange that in 2012 I can purchase an Xbox 360 for about the same price. Cell phones, personal computers, televisions, and printers have all become far more powerful and cost so much less.

I believe this trend will continue, and this means the digital divide will shrink with each passing year.

Increased accessibility to knowledge and new ideas will truly flatten the world.

Ultimately the question will not be whether one can afford technology, but rather how much technology one cares to incorporate into his/her life.

To put this in perspective, the Atari 2600 CPU ran at about 1.19MHz. The Xbox 360 runs at 733. They both cost the same. In fact, the Atari would be over twice as much in today's dollars.

If only we could find energy solutions that provided us with the same kind of miraculous economic trend. I would be able to get about 22,000 miles per gallon at about 99 cents per gallon, right?




1 comment: